Friday, January 11, 2008

Carry One Another's Burdens...

This Monday morning at Bible study I shared with the ladies that I had been sick, Ian was sick, Maggie was coughing and Zoe was sick. Just asked them to pray for us - and for me that I would be well enough to take care of my little family. I know I blogged last week about my sick day, but I didn't say that it was a really miserable day. I didn't know what to do. I HAD to lie down, you know what I mean? Ian came home early, which was great, and I was able to get some rest last weekend, but the cold still hung on. Long story short, I got the doc to call in a Z-pack for me a couple days ago and I am on the mend, I hope.

This morning I got a call from my friend Lisa who said she was going to bring me dinner tonight. I mean, have you seriously ever heard of someone bringing you dinner - not right after you have surgery, not right after you give birth, not when someone dies, but just BECAUSE! I didn't know what to say, so I said ok. She just dropped off this awesome meal from the Fresh Market (yummm!) and as I was putting it in the fridge I started to get tears in my eyes. I am just overwhelmed by the way she and my friends here continue to care for me. Sometimes I feel far away and alone here in Jacksonville because I don't have family around, and then things like this happen. And they happen a LOT! My friend Beth has saved me literally hundreds of dollars in babysitting by watching my kids while I take one of them to the doctor. And it's not like these people don't have things to do or families of their own! They all have young kids.

It's so great, and hard too. Learning to accept help when you really cannot give anything back. I mean, I barely make my OWN family dinner, much less bring it to someone in need. And there's no way I can watch any more kids than my own right now. I know it's not my season of life to be helpful in that way. I know I will be back on the "help circuit" soon, but for now it's pretty humbling to be the one getting help. I really believe that the Lord is meeting me in my greatest place of need right now...practically caring for me through people.

"Carry one another's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." -Galatians 6:2

No comments: