Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Real Carolina is...

For some reason I'm having trouble getting up the energy (or finding the time) to blog lately. Maybe because of my life in general? Probably. Just feeling super tired these days.



It's a lazy Saturday around the Smith household. Maggie is coloring outside on the porch, Tori is eating her bottle, and Zoe is swinging in the swing with a 102 degree temperature that Tylenol isn't really touching. I've called the doctor and I'm sure he'll think I'm nuts, but whatever. I love when they get sick on the weekends because you can talk directly to a doc. That's why they get paid the big bucks, right?



This week has been a little rough. My sweet grandmother, Nana, fell on her 84th birthday and broke two ribs, her pelvis, and a socket in her hip. She's been in the hospital for a few days now and she's getting better. She's a great lady, but she's apparantly been anything but sweet while she's been there. My grandfather, Papa, has been at the hospital the whole time - he's blind and can't really hear very well. They're quite a pair and it's been amazing that they've been able to remain independent so far. I know some of this is inevitable, but it's still hard to watch. I hate that I'm not there, either. I would love to just go and sit at the hospital or make dinner for my own parents since they have been taking shifts sitting with Nana the whole time too.



Pretty much the only excitement around here today is the Carolina vs. Carolina game today at 3:30 pm. Since I married Ian I have become an avid Tarheel fan - call me a bandwagoner, but I think I'm legit because I married into it. Anyone who knows my hubby knows that he is such a chill guy...except when it comes to the Heels. He's pretty much a crazy man - his passions arise in ways we've never seen. Maggie has learned many a cheer/fight song/curse word from watching UNC games with her dad.



Here's the rub...I grew up in Columbia and to me, Carolina was South Carolina all my life. And I mean that in the truest sense. Like if I anyone uses the term "Carolina" referring to UNC, then everyone in my family has a bit of a hissy. So, I've learned to say USC or UNC - or say "Carolina" in the right company. I'm so P.C. I have to be. The passions for the Carolinas run deep and I am swimming in both pools. Today I must say that I'm pulling for USC in the game. I just can't help it. It's not like I even care about football that much, but I've been watching it by default for the better part of my life and, honestly, the happiness of my extended family rides on the scoreboard at Williams-Brice on Saturdays. You can bet your bottom dollar that Nana and Papa are watching the game right now on that tiny TV in the hospital - regardless of the fact that Papa can't see a lick of it.



I love, love, love Tarheel basketball, though. Last night was "Late Night With Roy" in Chapel Hill - the first legit night of basketball practice. Oh, we so wanted to be there! Can't wait for the Heels to get started this year! Believe me when I say there will be more to come about the Heels...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LIVE FROM CHAPEL HILL---Buffy....I am only posting this because you said you were pulling for USC,(I mean, I don't want to offend Ian) and I have to admit it was a bit scary at the end.....but WE ARE CAROLINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO COCKS!!!!! You can tell Ian that I do believe that the Chapel Hill campus is absolutely beautiful!

Love, Judy

Unknown said...

I think you know who the real carolina is. I'm just sayin'...