Sunday, March 29, 2009

Slacker

Sorry I haven't blogged much. I just haven't felt like it! How's that for an excuse.

Last weekend I had the opportunity to get away for a weekend. It was anything but a retreat - I came home more physically tired than when I left. It was a great experience, though, and I am so thankful for the opportunity to attend. The weekend is called the Great Banquet and it was held at my church in Jacksonville. Honestly it's not my type of retreat because, well, it's not a retreat. There are a LOT of speakers and it's pretty intense. But it was just so so good for me. I think I am the only one who left feeling rested in ways that I truly needed.

For example, we had to give up our watches and cell phones which was so difficult for some, but glorious for me. The team made our meals, and they were beyond delicious and abundant. I was told when to be where I needed to be, when to settle in for bed, and when to wake up. I think I loved this so much because I didn't have to make a single decision. That and the fact that no one was saying, "Watta, watta, milk-a-me, milk-a-me, waffle, waffle, nakin-me, nakin-me" all weekend long. (For those of you who don't speak "Zoe" that's "water, water, milk for me, milk for me, waffle, waffle, and napkin me, napkin me - aka give me a napkin". No one woke up in the middle of the night screaming because their molars are coming in (i.e. Tori). And no one was saying, "So what are we going to do today, Mom" (the Mag).

We had a time to be silent and I LOVED it. I think I could have done that the whole three days.

I was so ready to come home, though. I just really missed Ian and the girls. Even though I make light of their driving me crazy, and they do drive me crazy at times, I just missed them a bunch. When I saw Maggie at the church on Sunday after it was over I seriously thought I might leap out of the car I was in so that I could go and squeeze her neck. That's a great feeling.

So I guess I just wanted to share that the Lord was good to me last weekend. I know He is good all the time, but last weekend was a real gift. I know that a lot of people prayed hard and worked hard so that I could make some space to hear from the Lord and to hear myself think. It was glorious and I am so grateful!

2 comments:

Ed said...

Buffy, I'm so glad for you to get to have that experience. A number of the folks in our congregation have done a Great Banquet weekend, and it was used by God for their spiritual transformation (at least one, I think, came to faith; the others certainly were renewed and refreshed of spirit).

I'll pray that your re-entry will be good, and that you will continue to delight in the refreshment of the weekend!

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you had a good weekend...and i'm hoping you didn't just write all that in case rev kev reads your blog sometime...or so that god would shine on the heels tonight.