Sunday, August 21, 2011

Blame it on the Boogie

I'm feeling my age. I know that sounds crazy because compared to other people, like old people, I'm not that old. But this June I turned 39 and for the first time my body is starting to feel different, though my mind refuses to follow.

Case in point: this Mother's Day I asked for one thing...The Michael Jackson Wii Experience. After all, isn't that what we all want in life? I played it a few times this spring, but it wasn't until a late night dance party with my sister and her husband that I really got the full effect of the MJ experience. I had caught the boogie bug in a bad way, so when I got back home the next week I decided to try it again...by myself...in my den...work it, own it, work it. It was fun, it was a workout, and I was awesome.

Until the next morning. I wasn't all that sore, like I thought I might be. Instead, I had this awful pain in my hip. I mean like pain that makes you limp, pain that makes you stretch all day, pain that reverberates all through your legs...then back...then neck. Ouch. I thought taking advil and stretching it out would help. It didn't. I thought wearing my tennis shoes instead of my trusty (i.e. only other pair of shoes I wear) flip flops would do the trick. It didn't. I thought sitting around and eating ice cream would help. It did...a little...but then it didn't.

What is happening to me? I am not bouncing back with the same spring I used to. I've spent quite a bit of time thinking through this over the past two weeks and it just doesn't make sense. You mean to tell me I can't "leave that 9-5 up on the shelf and just enjoy myself" like I used to? Annoying. Really annoying.

And I'm sure it can't be attributed to the fact that I NEVAH exercise and I'm carrying around 20 extra pounds, can it?

I've gotta pull myself together. Everyone says your metabolism slows down when you turn 40 and if that's so then my turtle trot pace will quickly become a snail. What can I do about this, you ask yourself? Two words... Bertha Kelley.

Prepare yourself...I am about to introduce you to a woman that defies all explanation...but I'll try anyway. This woman is on youtube and she makes a video or two almost every day...in her house...dancing...singing...with her karaoke machine...and the two fake deer on her coffee table.

It gets better.

Bertha Kelley lives in the house where my brother in law, Kelly, grew up. Kelly's pastor sent him this link when he found out about the sensation that is Mrs. Kelley. When I first saw it I couldn't contain myself and I watched it for about an hour straight. What an inspiration. I'll just let you be the judge:

No comments: